12 BEST PLACES TO EXPERIENCE SNOW IN INDIA
India, being called a tourist destination widely throughout the world, is known for its culture, traditions and historical monuments. From beaches to hill stations to plains filled with agricultural fields and tea gardens, every region of India has something different to offer. Having said so, it is only cities like Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai that been the cities which have seen the highest inflow of tourists. Today we talk about the 7 places in India, you get to experience the ever so calming snow in the north and north-eastern part of India, to make your trip even more wholesome.
- GULMARG: Gulmarg in Jammu and Kashmir is the go-to place for anyone who wants to enjoy the snow. Go here to experience a wonderful view of pine trees covered in the snow best enjoyed in the world’s highest cable car (gondola) and with some authentic Kashmiri food. With an average of 3 degree Celsius and about 880 km from the state capital, it has very easy accessibility for tourists and is rightly called the “ Heartland of winter sports Indian”
- Ladakh: Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir is again one of the best choices for anyone who loves scenic views, even though the temperature usually goes as low as -10 degree Celsius, and keeps decreasing year by year, it still is a must-visit to see frozen lakes, rivers and waterfalls. For weather enthusiasts, December to March is coldest months and do try and get yourself a traditional ladakhi house for your stay!
- Patnitop: Another destination in our beloved Jammu and Kashmir, located in udhampur and accessible from the Jammu airport. Those beautiful enchanted lands you can imagine with snow sprinkled on everything but not yet frozen? Yes, if that isn’t the perfect description of patnitop we don’t know what is! From nature lovers to skiers and trekkers, patnitop will offer you everything. With an average temperature of 5 degree Celsius, patnitop is one of our favourites.
- Mukteshwar, Nainital: Mukteshwar and Nainital are both absolutely great options if you want to experience snow or winters away from the heat. If you prefer a more commercialized tourist destination, we recommend Nainital. But for an experience of the unexplored and unmapped destination, we recommend you to visit Mukteshwar, having derived it’s name from the famous shiv temple Mukteshwar Dham. Best months to visit would be December to February, and do not forget to visit the famous Naini Lake in Nainital, Uttrakhand.
- Auli: This marvellous skiing destination in Uttrakhand with skiing slopes of 2500 to 3000 meters is a must for every skiing enthusiast. With an average temperature of -2 degree Celsius, this beauty is about 5 hours from Dehradun’s airport and 5 hours from the Rishikesh railway station, enjoy this beauty on their cable rides and other winter adventure activities!
- Munsiyari : This beautiful, newly discovered tourist Destination in Uttrakhand seems like a must visit! Munsiyari also means the place of snow and what better than a place like this to enjoy snow? From mountains, glaciers and trekking opportunities, it is suitable for every tourist. Reach here by road to enjoy the picturesque and scenic view en-route.
- Kufri and Shimla: These two places in Himachal Pradesh are one of the most visited hill stations in India, even though very commercialized this place has an average of 7 degree Celsius which is amazing for families and friends to enjoy the snow! Enjoy the nature and adventure parks and reach here by road which is just 2.5 hours from Shimla and 3.5 from Kufri.
- Manali: Another beautiful tourist destination in Himachal Pradesh is Manali. This is again a very famous and frequently visited hill station by tourists. The crystal clear rivers, the beautiful sky, the mountains with snow give us exactly what we imagine when we think of a Hill Station. Do try out skiing and ice-skating here!
- Khajjiar: This destination cannot be missed from anyone’s list of places to enjoy snow. Frequently called as the Switzerland of India, khajjiar’s meadows covered with a blanket of snow makes it one of the most scenic views to experience. Located at a short distance from Dalhousie, you can enjoy this hill station in both summers and winters!
- North Sikkim: From it’s famous tsomgo lake, yumthang and Nathu la, this place may offer a little harsh climate but trust us, this is for every snow lover out there. Enjoy snow anytime of the year in North Sikkim. The beautiful and exquisite landscapes, in our opinion, totally justify the climate, and is on our must visit list for sure!
- Lava: This undiscovered and not so commercialized beauty in West Bengal is a precious treasure of north-eastern India. Specifically recommended for trekkers, this place with 5 degree Celsius temperature and trees sprinkled with snow everywhere is a perfect destination to experience snow. From sightseeing to national parks, reach lava by road from the Bagdogra airport of Siliguri railway station.
Tawang: this beauty might be last on this list but will have an everlasting imprint on your mind and heart. Situated in Arunachal Pradesh, reach Tawang by road which is about 6 hours from Salonibari airport, Tawang is one the most visited places in Arunachal and it has its reasons to be, from colourful festivals to sightseeing and winter adventure opportunities are enjoyed best when paired with their cosy houses and authentic delicious cuisine. At 0 degree Celsius, enjoy this northeastern beauty, now!